We are currently looking for a Dental Hygienist to join our team on a contractual basis with the potential for it to turn into a full time position. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume to email@example.com or fax (905) 336-8157.
Dental Hygienist Job Description
Performs dental measures designed to preserve teeth and prevent the spread of oral disease by performing the following duties.
- Oral examinations, treatment planning and continuing care exams.
- Periodontal scalings (manually or by cavitron).
- Polishing (slow speed handpeice or prophy jet).
- Fluoride treatments, placement of pit and fissure sealants.
- Charts conditions of decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by dentist.
- Radiographic exposure, development and interpretation. Panorex experience.
- Makes impressions for study casts.
- Places and removes rubber dams, matrices, and temporary restorations.
- Provides clinical services and health education to improve and maintain oral health of patients
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Patient Care – Manages difficult or emotional patient situations; Responds promptly to patient needs; Solicits patient feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively in patient charts; Varies writing style to meet needs; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Judgement – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and dental supplies properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Education and/or Experience
- Dental Hygiene Certificate from College.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Abeldent software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Dental Hygiene Certificate
Other Skills and Abilities
- Intraoral camera and Velscope experience. Knowledge of how to use a digital x-ray system.